Mina

Assignment 1: A Reflection on Seven Dials

“Where is there such another maze of streets, courts, lanes, and alleys? The stranger who finds himself in ‘The Dials’ for the first time, and stands…at the entrance of seven obscure passages, uncertain which to take, will see enough around him to keep his curiosity and attention awake for no inconsiderable time…The peculiar character of these streets, and the close resemblance each one bears to its neighbour, by no means tends to decrease the bewilderment in which the unexperienced wayfarer through ‘the Dials’ finds himself involved.”

– Charles Dickens, ‘Seven Dials,’ Sketches by Boz (1836)

As a “stranger” to London myself – at least, I was one about a month ago – I completely relate to what Dickens says about Seven Dials. I have had multiple experiences in which I have stood in the center, looking around and around, wondering which street is the one I should take. It certainly does not help that all seven of the streets do, in fact, share a “close resemblance” to one another. Often I have found myself standing in the center and not even remembering which street I walked down to get there. Even after walking through this area several times, my “bewilderment” at this “maze” of “seven obscure passages” has not subsided.

However, the confusion that I, and other “unexperienced wayfarer[s],” feel upon seeing Seven Dials is not necessarily a negative thing. As Dickens points out, the area is bursting with places to “keep [our] curiosity and attention awake for no inconsiderable time.” As someone who loves to eat, I am particularly fascinated by all of the restaurants and food shops in the Dials. One of my roommates took me to Pierre Hermé on Monmouth Street for a salted-butter caramel macaron, which was one of the best things I have eaten since I have been in London. I also would like to try out some of the restaurants I have walked by, such as the oddly named Scoff & Banter on Mercer Street. And of course, as any good American would be, I am grateful for the Chipotle Mexican Grill that is nearby on St. Martin’s Lane.

I have enjoyed more than just food in Seven Dials – there is also a lot of great shopping to be done. While I have yet to actually purchase any clothes or shoes in London, when I decide to do so, I think it will be in Seven Dials, because there are so many great stores all right near each other. One appealing store is called Super Superficial. Located on Earlham Street, this independent label sells T-shirts and sweatshirts with quite interesting graphic designs on them. Both of my roommates have bought gifts for family members there, and I might just have to do the same.

Of course, one of the best parts of Seven Dials is the concentration of several theatres in such a small area. I went to St. Martin’s Theatre a few weeks ago to see “The Mousetrap,” which was great fun, and several of my classmates went to see “Matilda” at Cambridge Theatre, too. There are also other ways to spend time – for example, I’ve thought about getting a psychic reading done at Mysteries New Age Centre on Monmouth (but then thought better of it).

In addition to “bewilderment,” Seven Dials certainly merits “curiosity and attention,” with its almost innumerable places to eat, shop, and enjoy oneself. While on the surface the seven streets appear to be indistinguishable, each one in fact boasts its own unique array of diversions. So the next time I am standing in the middle, wondering which street to take, I will simply remind myself that, even if the one I choose will not get me to my destination most quickly, it will undoubtedly prove a lovely way to go.

Assignment 2: A Reflection on Westminster Abbey

I’m not a very religious person. Actually, that’s an understatement: I’m Jewish by birth, agnostic by choice. I definitely would not be considered Christian by any definition. So when a few of my friends and I decided to visit Westminster Abbey one Saturday morning, I wasn’t expecting to have a particularly strong reaction to it. I thought, “This seems like something I should see while I’m in London, since there are lots of famous people buried there, and I guess it’s supposed to be pretty.” So I went along, waited in line for a while on a particularly blustery day, paid £17 for entry, and stepped inside, my expectations not very high.

I was blown away immediately. The extremely high, vaulted ceilings captivated me, and I spent several moments standing in place with my head back, soaking in their mesmerizing glory. All of the stained glass windows, too, were breathtaking, especially with the late morning sun streaming through their vivid colors. The church was enormous, even more so than it looked from the outside—there were so many side chambers and chapels that I lost count, not to mention the main part of the church.

Then, of course, there are the tombs. I spent a couple of hours wandering through the church, inspecting the innumerable gravestones and tiles on the floor describing the men and women who were buried below. There are the royals, of course—I was impressed to think that Queen Elizabeth I and Mary, Queen of Scots had once been right where I was standing (and I saw the area where coronations take place, too!)—but I was also interested in the many writers and scientists. It was incredible to see the graves of authors whose work I was reading at the time, like Charles Dickens and Lewis Carroll. One of the guides working there told me that Charles Darwin (a fellow agnostic) had not wanted to be buried there, but that the Queen had insisted upon it. How unfortunate for Darwin—at the same time, though, what an honor!

After spending a long while examining all of the graves, I spent a few quiet moments of reflection in the center of the church, under the momentous ceiling. I thought to myself, “Now I realize what all the fuss is about.” This place was so beautiful, so full of amazing figures, so jam-packed with history. I felt like I was a part of something much bigger than myself, just be spending a couple of hours there.

On the website of Westminster Abbey, the Dean of the church writes, “Welcome to Westminster Abbey! I hope to be able to welcome you to Westminster Abbey and pray your experience here will be a blessing to you and encourage you in the pilgrimage of life.” While the language of this quotation, of course, has a more religious tone that I would use, I must concede that the Dean’s words reflect my feelings about the effect that this wonderful place had on me. My experience was, in a way, a blessing to me: it made me feel connected to the past in a way that no other place in London has. It made me feel as small as an ant within its cavernous walls and among those giants of people whose final resting place is within them. At the same time, for some inexplicable reason, it made me feel big and important, like by being in the same place as so many people who’ve done so many great things, maybe some of their greatness might rub off on me. Maybe someday I might be great, too.